The Road Traffic Collision (RTC)

‚ÄčA British Telecommunications (BT) engineer was working near Nantwich in Cheshire, England, he had parked his van on a pavement to access equipment which needed servicing or repairing.  The engineer positioned a warning sign to inform following traffic that his van was partially blocking the road.  It was a clear, bright day.

The engineer was working when he heard an unusual loud bang.  He left his workplace to see what he thought may have been a tyre blow-out and saw me lying in the carriageway.  The engineer immediately dialed emergency services on 999, this was at 10:48 on 31st July 2015.

A car had collided with my bicycle, I hit the windscreen with my head then rolled up onto the car roof before rolling off.  I ended up prostrate in the centre of the carriageway.

I was hit by a gentleman (Kenneth B) in his eighties in a Vauxhall car, he was doing 40MPH in a 40 MPH zone.  A lady driving a BMW had been following Kenneth, she didn't see the incident, but despite having her windows closed heard a large bang (again suspecting a tyre blow-out), she immediately pulled over behind the BT van to investigate.  She looked around and saw me lying in the centre of the carriageway, I was unconscious, foaming at the mouth and bleeding from my right ear.  She asked the BT engineer to call 999, he responded that he had already done so.

A passing ambulance taking an elderly person to hospital saw there was an RTC and pulled over.  The ambulance driver triaged me and advised the emergency services to instigate an air ambulance, perhaps saving me twenty minutes before the 999 road ambulance arrived.

When the Cheshire police arrived they blocked off the road and performed a full reconstruction.  Kenneth advised the police that he simply didn't see me as I rode in the centre of the carriageway to circumvent the BT van, he was remorseful and apologetic.

The police instigated prosecution against Kenneth for driving without due care and attention, he had already surrendered his driving licence and accepted entire responsibility for the collision.  During the prosecution phase Kenneth was hospitalised and it was recorded that he would unlikely be discharged.  At this stage the Crown Prosecution Service decided it was not in the public interest to prosecute him and therefore dropped the charges.

In 2017 I attempted to contact Kenneth's family via my police contacts to advise them that I do not hold any bad feelings against Kenneth and have made a very positive recovery, due to police jurisdictions I was unable to do this.